Summer weather is experienced year-round in South Florida. Yes. There might be a few weeks of cooler weather, but it is still considered hot and humid when compared to other areas. This hot weather causes South Florida residents to run their air conditioners year-round. The cool air is welcoming but it also produces dry indoor air that can lead to scaly, dry and cracked skin. If you have dry skin, consider following the helpful tips below.
- Use warm water instead of hot water when showering – Avoid using hot water because it causes skin to become dry, itchy and uncomfortable.
- Use lukewarm or cold water when washing your hands – Your hands get washed more than 20 times per day. Lukewarm and cold water don’t harm skin as severely as hot water.
- Take a shower for only 10 minutes or less – Limit your exposure to water and get your showering time to 10 minutes or less. Remember there are chemicals in water that help make it safe to drink. However, these chemicals can also have a negative effect on your skin, causing it to become dry.
- Close the bathroom door when showering to hold in the steam – Spa’s worldwide offer their guests a steam bath to help place moisture back into the skin. You have a steam bath in your own bathroom. Just close the bathroom door to prevent the steam from escaping. This is also an excellent way to pull toxins and dirt from your pores without having to try too hard.
- Apply body oil to wet skin to help hold in moisture – There are a variety of adult baby oils on the market that includes vitamin E. This nourishing and moisturizing vitamin is a great option for those who suffer from dry skin.
- Use a soft cotton towel to blot your skin dry – Scraping and rubbing your skin harshly can cause it to become worse. Always treat your skin with gentle care by blotting your skin dry after showering.
- Apply moisturizer or body lotion immediately after drying off – If you don’t like to apply body oil to your skin you can feel confident that body lotion and moisturizer will get the job done nicely. Use a high-quality moisturizer or body lotion that treats dry skin.
- Use gentle cleansers on your skin to prevent skin irritation and dryness – You might own and use the most expensive skin cleanser in the world. But, if it causes your skin to become dried out, it’s not doing its job properly. Find the right cleanser for your skin type and stick to it.
Dry skin can become itchy, scaly, red and bloody. Scratching itchy skin can cause it to bleed which leads to scabbing and sometimes scarring. Prevent this from happening to you by preventing and treating dry skin properly. Everybody’s skin is different so what works for one person might not work for another. Find out the best skin care routine that suits your skin by making an appointment with a dermatologist today!
Dr. Georgette Rodriguez is a board-certified dermatologist in Miami, Florida who provides her patients with only the most advanced and up to date dermatologic care available. She received her medical degree from University of Florida College of Medicine and has been in practice 15+ years. Dr. Rodriguez accepts several types of health insurance. She is a diplomate of the American Board of Dermatology and the American Society for Mohs Surgery. She specializes in complete dermatology services including medical, cosmetic, and pediatric dermatology. She is one of 14 doctors at Miami Veterans Affairs Healthcare System who specialize in Dermatology. To make an appointment, please call her office at 305-667-5480.